Full disclosure before we begin: I love Miffy! Always have. Always will. In fact, I now look back and wonder why BookBairn doesn't have ...

A Sweet Little Bunny: Miffy!

Friday, November 06, 2015 BookBairn 20 Comments

Full disclosure before we begin: I love Miffy! Always have. Always will. In fact, I now look back and wonder why BookBairn doesn't have a Miffy-themed nursery? I blame baby-brain. I digress.

Much to my delight, this year is the 60th anniversary of this cute little white rabbit and she is everywhere! We even went to meet Miffy at the Edinburgh Book Festival, sadly we have no photograph as BookBairn fell asleep (never work with animals or small children, they said). But she did get a delightful yellow balloon to match her M&S Miffy vest (which, yes, I bought in sizes for next summer too!).

The Miffy books, by Dick Bruna, are ideal bedtime reading for BookBairn. The stories are short and written in rhyme and the illustrations are deceptively simple and brightly coloured. We started with the original 'Miffy' story and haven't stopped. The collection is growing rapidly. Recently re-translated by Tony Mitton, the classic Miffy stories have been reworked and republished (with the original illustrations! Thank goodness). I must confess that whilst some of the new translations are true to the original voice, for me, some lack the continuity of the story and others grasp to maintain the rhyme ("The cock and hen came by to see. Their little chicks came too. Even the cow was keen to look at baby Miffy. Moo!" - seriously? Moo!) I have bought mostly modern versions for BookBairn but recently bought a haul of Miffy books on Ebay for Christmas gifts (spoiler for those who know me with wee bookbairns of their own - sorry) and am comparing the texts and swapping some of the modern ones with the originals. But, in all honesty, I know I am being picky. And BookBairn loves the illustrations either way!

The Miffy stories are perfect pre-nap stories as they are short enough to keep a sleepy BookBairn's attention but also appeal to me, which, as selfish as it could sound, is important given that we could be re-reading them over and over. In fact, we read Miffy on a daily basis. We also have copies of some of the newly published books 'Peekaboo Miffy' and 'Look and See Miffy' which were released alongside Miffy activity and sticker books to appeal to a modern audience of readers. These books are great fun too! And maintain the distinctive palette of bright primary colours and the cast of characters from the Miffy series. The lift-the-flap book 'Peekaboo Miffy' is super and has lovely large flaps which BookBairn can handle whilst 'Miffy Look and See' has peek-through holes which are large enough for her use to turn pages (she is too little to answer the who's next type questions in the text but this will no doubt be good for toddlers).

As part of Miffy's birthday celebrations, the TV channel Tiny Pop have started showing a new TV programme called 'Miffy's Adventures Big and Small' at 7pm and 7.30am. Well, I was never too keen to plop my wee one in front of the TV but, now I'm actually a mum, seven minutes peace seems like heaven! And even as young as BookBairn is, she will happily sit for seven minutes and watch. The show features rather cute computer-generated (although it has a Wallace and Gromit plasticine-look about it) Miffy and friends and certainly captures the essence of the Dick Bruna illustrations. The show also has an incredibly catchy theme-tune, which I find myself singing long after BookBairn is in bed but it grabs her attention as soon as it appears. It also generally has another song featured during the episode which maintains her attention when it might be beginning to waver (she's easy to please really, a song or a book can cure most grumpy moments!). It is bright and colourful and similarly to the books the shows feature simple backgrounds, allowing attention to focus on the characters. She loves it! And I enjoy the peace (I can now down a scalding hot cuppa in seven minutes).


***We are very excited to run our first competition! If you would like to win a sensory Miffy toy (perfect in time for Christmas), please comment below. (Additional entries will be available so keep an eye out by following us on twitter and on facebook.) UK residents only please. Competition closes 14.11.15.****

Good luck! Mummy and BookBairn

UPDATE - Competition is now closed. Thanks to all who entered! Mummy and BookBairn x




*DISCLAIMER* - We were provided the Miffy toy in exchange for reviewing the Tiny Pop TV show. I had always planned to write a Miffy post (having so many books) and all words and views are my own.



20 comments:

  1. Ah i love miffy, please add me in
    Lynn m xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! Extra entries to the competition will be available so keep an eye on our twitter and facebook feeds!

      Delete
  2. Emily's never read Miffy and neither has Lewis so add us x Suz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I have it all in hand for Emily! And she can share with Lewis! x

      Delete
  3. I've never read any miffy! Neither have Angus or Hannah. Maybe we should give it a try ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fab! You will have to read the stories if you win the toy!

      Delete
  4. BookBairn's Mummy always loved the Miffy books and so did I. Should I be setting a series link for the TV show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please Papa C! And you have entered the competition. Hope you have a wee Miffy fan to give the toy to if you win!

      Delete
  5. Not read these books yet, please enter me and marnie. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please add us! We also love Miffy. Finn has the same Miffy babygrows as BookBairn X Jenny and Finn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the babygros cute? Glad to hear Finn is a Miffy fan too!

      Delete
  7. Miffy is Gma BookBairn's only reliable artwork after years of drawing the. For under5s in Glasgow! And she has Dick Bruna's autograph too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations are fab! Simple but effective. Even I think I could re-create these.

      Delete
  8. I love the picture of your daughter with all the Miffy books :)

    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  9. we love Miffy in this house and have lots of her books!! thanks for sharing with #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a super giveaway. We love Miffy in the mini beast household X

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter loved miffy too when she was younger but now my niece and nephew read them too! #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Miffy, appeals to all ages

    ReplyDelete
  13. we love Miffy, my little boy has a book, raffle and he had a miffy all in one too ;-)

    ReplyDelete